Monday, October 10, 2005

SI starting to take shape

After a few hours in the AJSH37 simulator at the F7 airbase in Såtenäs, and now recently a few hours in a similar simulator at SAAB in Linköping, and after having gone through all not classified documentation we have been able to get our hands on and then some, I think I've got a somewhat good understanding of how the HUD works. The program I made last summer is now restructured and as a result it was easy and quick to add some new HUD modes. What we have now is the startmode (I'm still not entirely sure how to make calculations for rotation velocity though), a somewhat complete nav mode, low nav mode and optical landing mode.

Today I've also made some real progress of making the HUD-program communicating with the simulator.... With one exception. There don't seem to be any variable in FlightSim for climb angle. But I think it should be possible to calculate that from vertical speed and ground speed. This seems to give me correct values, but unfortunately these variables are not updated more than a few times every second which renders them almost unusable. So I have to find some other way. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to try it.

Finally I started to add functionality for commanded altitude, which seems to work just fine. I also adjusted radar altitude so it is presented correctly. Next step is to finish the commanded altitude, but that would require waypoints I guess, and that is a completely different part of this project.

After some thinking, drawing and calculting I think I've figured out a way to get the climb angle

climbAngle = pitchAngle - (sin(rollAngle) * beta + cos(rollAngle) * alfa)

At least it seems right to me, but if I'm thinking all wrong please tell me. Here is a video of the result

No comments: